A Short Profile Of The College
K.C. Das Commerce College is located at the heart of Guwahati city in the state of Assam, India at a distance of 37 KMS from the Gopinath Bordoloi Airport, Borjhar, Guwahati and within 3 KMS from the Guwahati Railway station. A well known centre of Commerce education in the North-East, it was established on the 7th day of November, 1983.
Born out of the untiring efforts of a group of eminent educationists and free thinkers, the college was established with the financial assistance provided by the erstwhile president of the Governing Body, Late Ramesh Chandra Chaudhury. It has been named in the cherished memory of his father, late Keshab Chandra Das, an educationist of repute, who was Inspector of Schools, Assam in the 1930s.
K.C. Das Commerce College began its humble origin as an evening college at Sonaram H.S. & Multipurpose School, Bharalumukh, Guwahati. Subsequently on 30th November, 1994, the college shifted to its permanent campus at Chatribari where it is presently positioned.
The college came under the deficit-grants-in-aid system in the year 1998. Presently, the college has thirteen departments and imparts learning to apporoximately three thousand students with an efficient and dedicated teaching staff. It has an excellent ambience and an efficient administration. The internal quality assurance cell (IQAC) of the college was established on 16th June 2003. On October 17, 2006 the college was assessed by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) and was accredited B+ grade.
Our institution has traversed quite a distance and amidst ups and downs, developed over the years. The performance of our students at the Higher Secondary and Degree level has shown remarkable improvement. Since 2008, our students have occupied top positions every year. The pass percentage usually stands above 90 and on occasions have risen above 95. We remain deeply committed in our endeavor to establish ourselves as one of the foremost of institutions dedicated to commerce education in the country.
We aim to create and shape individuals who have a socially responsive outlook and are willing to learn and accept new ideas according to the changing times which will ensure all round development of the nation.
Besides the regular students, the college aims to give due opportunity to any one who is willing to learn.
For the teachers of the college, teaching is a religion, a lifetime commitment, a vocation and a profession and not just an occupation. The teachers strive to keep abreast with the latest development in their own fields.
Striving for quality enhancement and excellence is our way of life.
Our Motto is: 'To strive, to seek, to learn and not to yield’
K.C. Das Commerce College envisages to be the premier institute to impart good quality commerce education in the North East of the country. It aspires to be recognized for its quality teaching to a diverse student population so as to enable them to realize and develop their inherent and potential capabilities. We aim to expand the skill development and employability of our students.
In the new millennium we envision that our college will
- Be challenged to meet the needs of the society so that we can be leaders in educational innovations, creative expression and artistic production by fostering an atmosphere of intellectual excitement, innovation and entrepreneurship
- Give emphasis to sustained inter disciplinary research and education, not only within and across academic fields, but also across institutional, national and cultural boundaries
- Will focus its attention in areas where we can achieve excellence and comparative advantage in realizing our mission
- Provide our region with an educational and cultural center in which demonstrated excellence is the pervading theme in the classroom, on the playing fields, in service to students and community
- Be known for the success of its students as productive citizens whose active participation in their education has enabled them to reach their potential, capitalizing on their diverse backgrounds, talents and interest
- Take its place in a society, which demands from all its participants honesty, integrity and civilized discourse and behavior
- Be a model learning institution with a working environment in which the quality of life, mutual support and teamwork on campus are rich and participatory
- Help students make successful educational and career transitions in today’s dynamic world
- Enable the guardians to assess their own children and help them to reach their full potential and
- Help teachers improve themselves through self-assessment and professional development.
The College Emblem and its meaing
The College emblem holds a significant meaning. The "DIYA" or the "LAMP" at the centre is symbolic of the LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE, which like the sun, radiates hope into the lives of man.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER and the OPEN BOOK below speaks of learning and the quest for knowledge, which is the primary pre-occupation of the institute.
"Abirabirma edhi" It is an invocation to the "supreme soul" to enlighten the mind of man.